Socorro Unitarian Universalists
A Branch of First Unitarian Church of Albuquerque
“We are Unitarian Universalists. We are people of faith with open minds, loving hearts, and helping hands.”
Meetings: Epiphany Episcopal Church, 908 Leroy Place, Socorro. We gather in the Parish Hall (in the building opposite the main sanctuary). During the summer, we have one regular service and one potluck per month.
Time: Sundays, 4:00 pm
Covid-19 Safety: SUU is following both First Unitarian of Albuquerque’s Covid Advisory Council guidelines and Epiphany Episcopal’s guidelines. SUU is a branch of First Unitarian and EE owns Parish Hall. Since these guidelines can change, please contact us (at the bottom of the page) so we can provide you with the current ones.
What to expect: Music, Readings, Story for All Ages, Joys & Concerns (time for sharing), Sermon, and Discussion. (The sermon is the same as the morning service in Albuquerque, video download.)
Children: We welcome children of all ages and encourage them to participate in the service. If children and youth are interested in a separate program, our group includes educators, one of whom is designated to work with them.
– Our “big event” is an annual Holiday Concert in mid-December.
– In 2017 we started Theology on Tap, meeting once a month, on the second Thursday at 4:00 pm via Zoom for a round-table discussion of spiritual, philosophical, and ethical issues in a structured (but not too structured) way. Contact us for more info on Theology on Tap. During the summer, the schedule may vary.
Social Connections: Normally after every service, we serve refreshments. When Covid-19 guidelines allow us to do so again, we will. Members know one another well enough to readily offer support when a member is sick or needs some help. Yet we are not invasive and respect each other’s privacy. We are a family who behaves better than some relatives!
– We “own” a mile of Highway 60 near Box Canyon for a twice-yearly cleanup.
– Pre-pandemic, SUU committed to a two-hour shift on Fridays at Puerto Seguro, which provides services for Socorro’s homeless. We intend to resume this when we can safely do so.
– We support the Church of the Larger Fellowship’s annual Christmas card program for the incarcerated.
– Structured discussions on ethical or spiritual issues, such as White Fragility (2019), Building your Own Theology (2020), Inherited Wealth and Economic Justice (2020), and Re-Imagining SUU (2021), occur periodically.
-Contributions to “Change for Change” support such community organizations as El Puente del Socorro (2021) and rotate based on the interests of the congregation and community needs. Previous recipients include Puerto Seguro (2013, 2016, 2019, & 2020), Magdalena Samaritan Center (2014 & 2020) Magdalena Kids’ Science Cafe (2019), Animal Protective Association of Socorro (2018), La Vida Felicidad (2018), and Socorro Storehouse (2015 & 2017).
Contact: For more information, please contact Richard Sonnenfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org.