Why Become a Member?
The meaning of church membership is different for each person—we couldn’t define it for you any more than we could prescribe your spiritual theology. When we ask new members why they’ve decided to join the church, they say…
I didn’t know there was a church like this – it just feels right.
I want to be part of a community.
I want to teach my kids to care about their society and their world.
I finally feel like I can fully be myself and live my real values.
Maybe you feel like you’ve found a spiritual home here with people asking the same kind of questions you are.
Maybe you are grateful for the religious education your children are receiving.
Maybe you want to support and to join the social justice work we are doing together.
Whatever the reason, we are delighted that you are considering a deeper connection to this liberal religious community.
How do I Become a Member?
There are several steps toward making the commitment to join.
- Attend services and events to see if this feels like a place you can call your spiritual home. Some groups and events are geared toward those new to our community. Click here.
- Ask questions of the Director of Membership, Laira Magnusson, members of the membership committee, lay leaders, or the ministers.
- When you feel ready to join, agree to sign the Membership Book and participate in our New Member Joining Ceremony.
Ready to Join!
First Unitarian has just three criteria for membership:
- You have reached the age of 14
- You are in sympathy with our Mission Covenant
- You have made an initial contribution or pledge
We offer New Member Signing Ceremonies on the first Sunday of each month. Go here to fill out an online form to indicate your intention to join the church and RSVP for a ceremony. Our Director of Membership will send you information about the ceremony. You will sign the Membership Book, receive information about our Welcoming Conversations, and the tentative date of our next New Member Recognition where you will be officially welcomed by the congregation and invited to a dinner or lunch with other new members from the last several months.
Now that you are a new member, your first few years will be full of new experiences for you and your family.
- You will be invited to attend our annual meeting in January where, as a member of the congregation, you will engage in conversation and vote to guide this community’s future direction.
- You will be asked to make your first pledge of financial support.
- Most importantly, you will begin the journey of finding your unique place in this thriving community. And that is mostly up to you!
By joining us, you are committing your time, your enthusiasm, your strengths, and your support.
In return, you receive
- Affiliation with others who pursue a unique spiritual path;
- Religious education for you and your children;
- Education about, and opportunities to help change inequities in our society;
- A place of refuge, understanding and emotional support;
- A promising new path of personal growth.
You have taken the leap so now it is time to dive in! Welcome to our congregation!
Contact our Director of Membership & Communications, Laira Magnusson, with any questions about how to make the most of your membership, or how to join!